Sectors of Law
For several decades, our firm has worked closely with religious institutions, charitable organizations, Episcopal corporations, Church Councils and other religious institutions, regardless of the area of law concerned. Whether it be interpreting the general laws applicable to religious institutions or reviewing and amending as required the private member’s bill which governs them, our team enjoys an excellent reputation in these matters.
Our in-depth knowledge of the laws and religious institution charters and mode of operation has led us to carve out a prime position for ourselves with this clientele.
Consulting services and advice
We offer a complete range of services and advice in the following areas of the religious institutions sector:
- Restructuring, corporate reorganization of units affected by canonical restructuring, asset disposal agreements, ancillary and service contracts;
- Provident funds, incorporation, internal organization, fund transfers;
- Registration as a charity organization, representation before the tax authorities;
- Assistance and support with the day-to-day management, governance, corporate monitoring, purchase offers, institutional succession, analysis and drafting of contracts;
- Corporate Laws, application and interpretation of all the laws, introduction of private bills, incorporation and organization, corporate review and update of minute books;
- Disputes: Defending the interests of these institutions and organizations before the judicial and administrative authorities;
- Application and interpretation: Religious Corporations Act, Fabrique Act and other laws pertaining to the administration of cemeteries, including inter alia, concession agreements and other funerary activities;
- Assistance and support to dioceses, parish priests and churchwardens.